An itchy scalp, also known as scalp pruritus, is a common condition. It can be caused by a number of different factors and in some cases, it can be a symptom of an underlying medical condition. Hair loss can occur for some suffering with an itchy scalp and the two can be connected. Today we’re letting you know why you might be experiencing an itchy scalp and hair loss and what you can do to stop this from happening.
Are you worried that your itchy scalp could be caused by hair loss? Some skin conditions that cause an itchy scalp can sometimes lead to hair loss, however, an itchy scalp on its own isn’t always related to permanent hair loss from male pattern baldness.
Male pattern baldness usually occurs over time without any noticeable itching, pain or other discomforts. This means if you’re scalp feels itchy, you don’t have to worry about losing your hair permanently. An itchy scalp could mean one of several things;
- You’re suffering from a skin condition that can cause skin irritation to areas including the scalp. This could be a condition such as folliculitis, seborrheic dermatitis or ringworm.
- You’re using a shampoo that is too strong and could be irritating the skin and hair. This could result in both itching and discomfort to the scalp.
- Dust, dirt or other pollutants might have temporarily irritated your scalp, which, can result in an itchy feeling that will over time disappear.
- You’re not washing your hair frequently enough and a build-up of products such as hair spray and dry shampoo could cause the scalp to itch.
- Less commonly, you could have a recurring skin disease such as psoriasis, which will require ongoing treatment, this would need to be diagnosed by your GP.
In some cases, the issues above can be accompanied by temporary hair loss caused by the irritation of the skin. Sometimes, hair loss can occur due to aggressive scratching or if the scalp condition affects the structure of the hair follicles. Once the underlying scalp condition is treated, the hair will in most cases regrow.
In conclusion, yes an itchy scalp and hair loss can be connected, however, it does not mean if you have an itchy scalp you’ll go bald. An itchy scalp can indicate many things from something simple such as having dirty hair to something like psoriasis that will need to be medically treated.
If you’re worried about some of the signs of hair loss please contact us today for a no obligation consultation. During your consultation, one of our hair loss specialists will be able to look into what is causing your hair loss and what treatments or hair restoration procedures could help you.